Skip to content

Part 1: Letting our home - the decision to do it

With our overseas move imminent, we decided to rent out our home during our absence. Although many of our friends had horror stories about bad tenants and all the damage they were likely to cause, we felt that this was the best option for us for several reasons.

At that time we could not find any insurer who would cover house contents when a house would be unoccupied for more than 90 days. This is no longer the case:
Insurance for Unoccupied Property .

We were afraid that if the property was left unoccupied for a long period of time, that we might get squatters in and were aware of how difficult they might be to remove.
Information about how to remove squatters.

And finally, despite the risks, we were aware that three or four years' rent money was not an insignificant sum. We did, of course, have to pay tax on the rent we received, but that was the least of our worries.
Information about tax on rental income.

Given that we were to be out of the country for a few years, we thought it prudent to use the services of a letting agent.

Part 2: Choosing a letting agent

IMPORTANT NOTICE: To avoid confusion in case there are other persons of the same name: the Karen Holliday, aka Karen Davies, referred to on this website is the one who previously lived in Senga Road, Hackbridge and then at 30 Longfield Avenue, Hackbridge, Surrey, SM6 7BA, United Kingdom, from July 2001 until her eviction in June 2005. To the best of our knowledge she then continued to reside in the London Borough of Sutton.

LEGAL NOTICE: Remember - if it's true, it can't be libel.

British Expat - news, fun and info for Brits everywhere!